Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

I finished reading the book "A Thousand Splendid Sun" by Khaled Hosseini this weekend.

I had heard such rave reviews about the book but somehow I never expected such intensity which I felt when reading the book. It was so engrossing, so captivating that putting it down for sleeping at night was so difficult.

And once I finished the book, hubby asked me how was it. And I didn't know whether to call it awesome or to say that I felt so sad inside after reading it.

And I thought how can someone be so inhuman towards the women. I know this is not something new that I was reading or hearing about but the way the author had described scenes and situations, I could feel my blood boiling at those moments. As if I was there and seeing all this happen in front of my eyes.

This was the first book I read by the author. And am definitely going to read his other one, "The Kite Runner", as well.

7 comments:

  1. I read it almost an year ago and felt exactly the same. And I could not keep it down at night..wanted to finish it then and there. I finished it in 3 days - all three days reading it at night before sleeping and that was when i was preggy and was going thru all sorts of problems, so you can imgine how captivating it was. And after i was done with it - I had to read Kite Runner but it took me an year to get hold of that and I am on it now :) Would write my experience when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so looking forward to reading this book. Just finished "The Kite Runner" & felt just like u did with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does touch raw nerves, doesn't it?! Among many other things I can never forget the way women were treated while delivering children and the doctor was expected to operate wearing a burqa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with neera on this there are many things that haunt u in this book but the delivery scene hasn't left me still and i read this book more than an year when it was just released

    kite runner is a must read

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even I was impressed reading it :) Have you seen the movie Kite Runner? Its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the books are equally good, you should read the kite-runner too.

    ReplyDelete