Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My rendezevous with book reading

I had started reading books regularly when I took the subscription from BookMeABook. And because of that I was able to read an average of 2 books over a span of 1.5 months. I know this is a very very minuscule score if I compare it to other avid readers. But for me this was a big achievement too :)

The books I have read were all quite diverse when it comes to their genres. And the titles along with my start rating are -
  1. "A Face in the Dark and Other Hauntings: Collected Stories of the Supernatural" by Ruskin Bond (**)
  2. "Almost Single" by Advaita kala. (**)
  3. "The Tunnel of Time" an autobiography by R K Laxman (***)
  4. "Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough (*****)
  5. "You are Here" by Meenakshi Reddy Madhavan (**)
  6. "Tuesdays With Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson" by Mitch Albom (****)
  7. "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga (****)
  8. "Sea of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh (****)
As you can see some of them I really liked and some were just OK OK. I really loved reading "Thorn Birds". It was one un-put-downable book. "Tuesdays with Morrie", although philosophical in nature, but was quite interesting. "The White Tiger" was pretty good too. Next one that I'm going to start is "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling.

With office so hectic, I don't get much time to read these days but I still managed to read one book last month and I hope I manage to improve this pace.

So any of you has read any of these books? And how would you rate them?

13 comments:

  1. Good Good!! you surely are doing great by reading these many.
    I have read only "White Tiger" from this list and i found it ok. I liked it in the beginning but later on it started sounding more like old hindi movie rags-to-riches story. It was a goood read but no 4 stars for it. *** would be max :)
    I have also got back in the reading habit for 2-3 months now and i am loving it. Will update the list with my ratings soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thornbirds is my all time fav too..
    :)
    Somehow could not finish Tuesdays with Morrie. I dozed off every time I began. Many people, esp my Mum, have urged me to read it. Will give it another try sometime soon maybe.
    You are here- Ekdum So So..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have read Thornbirds, Tuesdays with Morrie and the White Tiger.

    Loved Thornbirds.
    Read Tuesdays, but found it rather depressing...?
    I hadn't much expectations of The White Tiger and so it was a delightful surprise. I liked it.

    I too have been meaning to read Kim.
    Try Roald Dahl, if you like the supernatural. Brr! The man can send shivers down your spine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt like White Tigers at all..Sea of Poppies was good,but not the best Amitav Ghosh
    How is Tunnel of Time though?
    ANd welcome back to regular blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. read and really liked sea of poppies, tuesdays with morrie & thorn birds.

    you should try "five ppl u'll meet in heaven' by mitch albom too. another book i really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved Tuesdays with Morrie... so simple yet so touching and meaningful..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats some dedication that makes you avid enough...to stay focussed on reading and making a list of it too !!

    And ofcourse balancing work and family. It is something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. only white tiger and it is worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good good,
    carry on
    I am into book reading, and finished reading Shadow of the Moon-by MM Kaye. it is a novel set in the Mutiny period and relates to my project. but its worth reading - do try to order it. If they do not have it then order Far Pavilions by the same author. THey would sure have it if they had THornBirds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure is hard to fit reading time in when there are so many other distractions!

    Ive been meaning to read The White Tiger, perhaps soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read 'The Thorn Birds' based on your reference and loved it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete