Monday, July 28, 2008

The impact

Yesterday while having a late lazy Sunday morning tea, I asked Betu to go and get the newspaper from the verandah. He went out side and as he was walking back in with the newspaper, he was peering intently in the newspaper. As he reached near me he said something which shook me completely and for a long time. He said "Mumma koi mar gaya hai" (someone has died) with a very concerned, upset and sad expression. I was too shocked at his statement to say anything and took the newspaper from him while hubby tried to distract him by taking him in the kitchen. He was totally out of words too on hearing this from Betu.

I looked at the newspaper to see a picture of 2 dead bodies, of a man and a woman, in front of some fruit shops with blood all around them. All the front pages of the newspapers since saturday have been filled with news items of the blasts that happened in Bangalore and Ahemdabad. It churned my stomach to see that the impact of such blasts has reached to the minds of such little kids as well. My son was a live example for me. There must be other children also who would have reacted the same way as Anirudh did.

I'm sure this is something which I and other parents would have been trying hard to protect our children from. From such cruel, gruesome world which inflicts so much pain into the lives of innocent people. It truly has been a battle for me to keep him away from all this but for the first time yesterday I felt I lost.

I don't have anything to add about the blasts per se. Coz I feel the same way everytime it happens. I hope the ants eat these people who plan and do such things bit by bit giving them a slow and painful death. They should die the most horrible death than they could have ever imagined. And I feel no remorse in saying these words and wishing ill towards them.

21 comments:

  1. Very true. Most part of my family's in Bangalore. And the moments when the network was jammed and we weren't able to find out whether they were fine, were horrendous.
    I fail to understand what kind of people can bomb hospitals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't know what to say...praying that God puts some sense in these sick minds who are killing innocent people isn't really doing any good....

    I don't turn the tv on after such a news if kid are around, it just upsets them too much. they saw some pics of destruction at the time of Tsunami in Indian Ocean and just couldn't get over the images for a looong time...hope Betu is over the pic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thought the same thing when i saw the paper in the morning, that we can control which channels our children watch but the newspapers have to be more responsible than this. I was shook by that pic too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought the same thing when i saw the paper in the morning, that we can control which channels our children watch but the newspapers have to be more responsible than this. I was shook by that pic too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes--I feel the same way.My today's post expresses it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it truly is exasperating. have wondered so often what drives these people? and can't find anything that justifies the horror of their actions...

    ReplyDelete
  7. was in class,when we heard the blast..the children's first reaction was"bomb blast"...amazing that they accept violence as the expected.

    Yes,wonder at times how inhuman can religion make you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely senseless and extremely saddening and disturbing! I really hope Betu has gotten over the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :(

    the sad part is as the kids grow up, they begin to accept it...kehte hain an, sun sun ke, you become immune and thickskinned...

    so many needless loss of lives, at what stake!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh , I am sorry. I know how hard in must have been for you both. But, as u said there is only "that" much we can do to shield our kids.
    God put some sense in the heads of these inhumans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. everytime something like this happens, i wonder what kind of world are we bringing kids into...

    and then think they are our hope of a better tomorrow.

    hopefully...

    abha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Insensitivity is an acquired trait :|

    ReplyDelete
  13. thats a very deep thought expressed nicely...but how long...how long can we hide the truth??

    Scribblers Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh God NM my heart just lurched... Anirudh saying that so matter of factly.. what is the world coming too... our kids have way too much exposure to the evil and the bad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Asur, Rakshas, or Demons din't live in our mythologies alone , they are alive even today. In conventional war the roofs of hospitals are marked prominently with a big "Red Cross" over white background so that enemy does not drop a bomb on it by mistake. These non-humans don't even follow that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we are all in it together... individually we are powerless to save our loved ones from the harrassment of the violence in death... entirely powerless. sad and true.

    ReplyDelete
  17. u are tagged... check out the details at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am with you... its so sad. what did you tell etu? did you tell him about the blasts?

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's worrying. We don't watch the TV news (or TV for that matter) when Ayaan is around but obviously stopping the newspaper is not an option. I just feel that journalists focus on putting the most gruesome pictures in the newspapers and I am not quite sure that is necessary...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Getting desensitized to death is just a small part of what these kids have to face 20 years from now. We may be creating cold-hearted monsters or hopefully sensible souls who understand the futility of war. In any case, as a cousin of mine says, as parents we influence maybe 1% of what the kid learning every moment.

    When even "children literature" like Harry Potter is centered around Terrorism and children movies like Narnia are all about waging war, you wonder how long we can protect the innocence of our little ones.

    I pray and hope that Betu and Cubby and all the others walk into a more sane, more understanding and more happy future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i think its high time we adults teach moral science to our young ones at home. hoping is futile... no one else will come and save our homes from burning.

    yes, fire burns that it touches but its the price we pay in the long run... dont we?

    ReplyDelete